Coins for Change
Coins for Change is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization whose mission it is to save the lives and futures of poor, marginalized Maasai children in the Amboseli region of Kenya, by putting an end to female genital mutilation (FGM) and early marriage and providing the children with the education, resources and freedom to make a better future for themselves.
Our main emphasis is on protecting Maasai girls who are being forced into early marriage and FGM. Focusing solely on this issue, however, helps a child in the short run, but does nothing to address the underlying causes of the issue. The current reality is a vicious cycle that perpetuates itself generation after generation because of tradition, perceived gender roles and poverty.
Real Lives. Real Impact. Real Change.
In order to make a real impact and drive real change, therefore, Coins for Change focuses on projects that address the issue of FGM and early marriage as well as its root causes.
- We sponsor Maasai boys and girls into quality boarding schools where they gain a good education and learn about the consequences of FGM and early marriage. The better educated the male Maasai are, the more they will support the laws against early marriage and FGM.
- We provide families and villages with goats, a key source of income and nutrition.
- We built a Safe House so that girls who are being forced into FGM and/or early marriage have a place to stay until the chiefs or the courts settle the issue. In some cases we find sponsors for these girls so that they may attend a boarding school.
- We are building an Academy for Women’s and Girls’ Rights to raise awareness about the new Kenyan laws and accepted alternative non-FGM rite of passage ceremonies.
- We are building a Women’s Center to provide women with skills to help them improve conditions for their families.
Join us today! Together we can make a real difference.
The hopes, dreams, freedom and future of Maasai children are being robbed and sacrificed every day. And it needs to stop.
Together we can achieve this by putting an end to FGM and early marriage and providing poor marginalized Maasai children with the education, resources and freedom to make a better future for themselves.